Chlorine

Chlorine has long been recognized as a very effective and efficient germ and bacteria killing agent.  This explains the prevalence of chlorine in household cleaning products and laundry soaps, its long standing use in public swimming pools and as a water disinfection tool by both well-owners and municipal water plants.

Chlorine has also been recognized as a poison that is toxic to animals and people.  It is capable of poisoning via ingestion, inhalation, and skin absorption.

In spite of its listing as a poison, it continues to be used in municipal water treatment plants and is recommended for well-owners to use as a means of "shocking" their wells.  This usage is to kill E. Coli and many other disease causing germs and bacteria.  However, once the germs are dead, the chlorine, and it's by-products, are still in the water, being consumed and breathed and absorbed by humans and animals.  This has some undesirable side-effects, including damaging hair, drying/aging skini, skin rashes, and fatigue.

Studies show that chlorine released as steam vapor in showers and dishwashers is linked to higher rates of asthma, allergies, and upper-respiratory infections.  Many studies are also showing that chlorine exposure is linked to breast cancer and high rates of colon and rectal cancers. 

Children are especially susceptible to immune deficiencies resulting from chlorine exposure.  While the EPA (the agency generally responsible for monitoring and ensuring a safe water supply) recommends the limited use of chlorine as a germ killing agent, it also acknowledges that the levels it recommends may not be safe for children or those with immunological diseases (diabetes, thryoid disease, etc.).

Chlorine can be removed from your water supply using a Carbon Filtration system or a water filtering system such as Reverse Osmosis.

For more information on Chlorine, visit the following websites: